nevermind721

The holy trinity blog: Weizenbier, Bayern & Fanteam

Servus miteinand,

if you played Daily Fantasy in the early days, you surely read my name on top of the tournament leaderboards here and there. If you started playing 2017+, you probably have never heard about me because I sucked for quite a while. 🙂 Tried to stop sucking last autumn by changing a few details and hopefully I managed to get the curve. Now trying to catch up again with the TTriBLs, quirrel77s and khans of this world.

Like my bio says, I am a koalified fantasy sports enthusiast from Germany and love Fanteam almost as much as a good Weizenbier (if you ever want to drink a really good Weizen, try Schneider Weisse. But Erdinger & Franziskaner are just fine as well). I work as a strategy manager in a fairly large corporation and actually there is fairly Iittle I can use from the job on Daily Fantasy. Turns out you don't need PowerPoint for Fanteam. 🙂 But some basic patterns of thinking might obviously help.

Maybe you have read my short article on the main page with some tipps for the upcoming Bundesliga GW. You should not be too eager to follow my Bayern recommendations, since I might not be neutral here as a life-long fan. You could say, I strive to be as world-class in DFS as Arjen Robben was as a player. And I am very fucking thrilled to finally have the Bundesliga on Fanteam!

Looking forward to share some of my experiences and discuss here.

Cheers,

nevermind

I have to say second, I guess😁

Welcome to the forums, we need a blog from a beer and football enthusiast with Bundesliga emerging on Fanteam) I don't drink it very often nowadays per my doctors recommendation (along with bread, buns and anything gluten rich) but I loaded up on some imported Paulainer Weisbeer for tomorrow's big day (will post some pics in my blog for sure).😎

39 minutes ago, nevermind721 said:

For Paulaner, you also have my official seal of approval. 😀 If I win 10.000€ I promise to send a set of a few nice German beers to Russia!

It works both ways them, some Premium vodka bottles (although I prefer Rum and Tequila as my strong spirits) coming your way in case I win.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:37 PM, nevermind721 said:

For Paulaner, you also have my official seal of approval. 😀 If I win 10.000€ I promise to send a set of a few nice German beers to Russia!

I am be rooting for you! Do not want to jinx it, but I guess we don't need Bayern to score tonight. And Cologne, and anyone, really

(edited)

Really hate sitting in first and then waiting for the late games. Guess no need to feel sorry for me though! 

I'd take a 1:1 in both games with all goals scored by defensive midfielders and subs. 😄

Screenshot_20200517-142823_Chrome.jpg

Edited by nevermind721

1 minute ago, nevermind721 said:

Really hate sitting in first and then waiting for the late games. Guess no need to feel sorry for me though! 

I'd take a 1:1 in both games with all goals scored by defensive midfielders and subs. 😄

Yeah, I know that feeling! For me it's always better to catch up than holding onto the lead.
1:1  and no-names scoring, gotcha) will have my fingers crossed.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:37 PM, nevermind721 said:

It's beer time! Hmm, which brand shall i choose? 💪💪💪🍻

(edited)
31 minutes ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

It's beer time! Hmm, which brand shall i choose? 💪💪💪🍻

No choice for you, I will decide. 🙂

Guess that's a solid way to start this blog. 😄

More tomorrow after victory beers and calming down.

photo5336919589302414708.jpg

Edited by nevermind721

7 hours ago, nevermind721 said:

No choice for you, I will decide. 🙂

Guess that's a solid way to start this blog. 😄

That's for sure 😁 Will wait for a taste of Germany and a write-up about this week's teams

Thanks! 

Unfortunately, I just checked regarding the beer package for Alexey, and it is not allowed to import alcohol via post by law. Will check with him the options and hope that at some point we have a picture of him drinking the beer here. :) 

Quick summary of yesterday will come a little later today. 

39 minutes ago, spuGGy said:

Sicko. Well deserved. One of the best players on Fanteam since day one.
2020 shows that:

image.png.bec3779189e8826f65a17913125970d6.png

Beating TTriBL in anything fantasy is a feat. What a great year you are having! 💪

54 minutes ago, nevermind721 said:

Thanks! 

Unfortunately, I just checked regarding the beer package for Alexey, and it is not allowed to import alcohol via post by law. Will check with him the options and hope that at some point we have a picture of him drinking the beer here. 🙂

Quick summary of yesterday will come a little later today. 

It looks like we have figured it out, so expect those pictures to pop up eventually)

Okay, so short summary:

What went right:

- One of my defense main picks was worth every penny (Bensebaini). Penalty takers in defense always have the potential to break slates and Bense delivered. Hard. Other picks (Ayhan, Skov etc.) didn't fully, but with 50 teams, obviously not every bet can turn out that well. 

- Usually, I don't really prefer picking captain material players (like Haaland) and not captaining them. Had Haaland in two teams I think and they ended up #1 and #2. Sick luck. 

- Hertha side stack delivered. One of my favorite budget options up front (together with Mainz). Both strikers scored and Mittelstädt (OOP) assisted and clean sheeted. Couldn't go better with a sidestack. 

- My little Kimmich+Boateng gamble paid off. The winning teams were betting anti "Bayern-rampage" since there was no Bayern offense involved. Thus, I went against the obvious candidates in Bayern defense Davies / Pavard / Alaba and took the assumingly worst (but also cheapest) defender in Boateng as an additional differential - with Kimmich as corner taker, since Boateng isn't too bad in the air. That a Kimmich corner brought my second good team to first place is just pure luck. 

-  I thought Müller scored then it was offside by a few millimeters. Then I again thought Müller scored but it turned out to be Pavard (literally the only Bayern player besides subs who didn't hurt). I was SO lucky with the Bayern result and scorers that it's almost embarassing. 

What went wrong (not so much obviously :D)

- Reina didn't play. In fact, I liked Thorgan Hazard in the shadow of Haaland & Sancho and had him in several teams. Reinas injury in warm-up (which I didn't recognize in time) unfortunately bit me a little, since I took out Hazard. But turns out you don't need 11 players to win. 😄 

- The "witching hour" before game start was even more stressful as usually, with fanteam servers appearing a little slower than normal and many changes to be made (e.g., why the heck didn't Piatek play?). Think many teams I wouldn't regard as optimal in hindsight (e.g., having somebody like Haaland and not captaining him). But I guess without that, I might not have had such a good result. Which again makes me overthink my approach. 😄 

- Had to sit through my real-life team and hoping for them NOT to score. But I guess you don't have to pity me for that, especially after them winning 2:0. 😄 

(edited)

I had also big problems with servers on one hour before games. I couldn't pick players and if I could it removed in two seconds... Little frustrating because I was captained Sancho into 25% my teams and then he wasn't in starting line-up and also Hazard was on bench, really wasn't but... However, Gz to you, Bensebaini and Hertha defs were great picks.

Edited by flashy

1 hour ago, flashy said:

I had also big problems with servers on one hour before games. I couldn't pick players and if I could it removed in two seconds... Little frustrating because I was captained Sancho into 25% my teams and then he wasn't in starting line-up and also Hazard was on bench, really wasn't but... However, Gz to you, Bensebaini and Hertha defs were great picks.

I have read many people talk about server lags. Guess I was the lucky one without any problems. Then maybe my server was different, which would explain it.

3 hours ago, nevermind721 said:

Okay, so short summary:

What went right:

- One of my defense main picks was worth every penny (Bensebaini). Penalty takers in defense always have the potential to break slates and Bense delivered. Hard. Other picks (Ayhan, Skov etc.) didn't fully, but with 50 teams, obviously not every bet can turn out that well. 

- Usually, I don't really prefer picking captain material players (like Haaland) and not captaining them. Had Haaland in two teams I think and they ended up #1 and #2. Sick luck. 

- Hertha side stack delivered. One of my favorite budget options up front (together with Mainz). Both strikers scored and Mittelstädt (OOP) assisted and clean sheeted. Couldn't go better with a sidestack. 

- My little Kimmich+Boateng gamble paid off. The winning teams were betting anti "Bayern-rampage" since there was no Bayern offense involved. Thus, I went against the obvious candidates in Bayern defense Davies / Pavard / Alaba and took the assumingly worst (but also cheapest) defender in Boateng as an additional differential - with Kimmich as corner taker, since Boateng isn't too bad in the air. That a Kimmich corner brought my second good team to first place is just pure luck. 

-  I thought Müller scored then it was offside by a few millimeters. Then I again thought Müller scored but it turned out to be Pavard (literally the only Bayern player besides subs who didn't hurt). I was SO lucky with the Bayern result and scorers that it's almost embarassing. 

What went wrong (not so much obviously :D)

- Reina didn't play. In fact, I liked Thorgan Hazard in the shadow of Haaland & Sancho and had him in several teams. Reinas injury in warm-up (which I didn't recognize in time) unfortunately bit me a little, since I took out Hazard. But turns out you don't need 11 players to win. 😄 

- The "witching hour" before game start was even more stressful as usually, with fanteam servers appearing a little slower than normal and many changes to be made (e.g., why the heck didn't Piatek play?). Think many teams I wouldn't regard as optimal in hindsight (e.g., having somebody like Haaland and not captaining him). But I guess without that, I might not have had such a good result. Which again makes me overthink my approach. 😄 

- Had to sit through my real-life team and hoping for them NOT to score. But I guess you don't have to pity me for that, especially after them winning 2:0. 😄 

Thanks for the write-up, you don't win the big ones without everything falling into place. Congratulations once again. 

I also missed Reina's injury, my best team could've done much better with Hazard. 

21 minutes ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

By the way, anywhere I can look up set-piece takers? Would be really helpful before the next game week.

Unfortunately I do not know about a consolidated overview in the style of FantasyFootballScout. 😞

(edited)

I use rotowire.com. There are maybe the best statistics about big leagues team's free kicks, penalties and corners takers. Sometimes it's just doesn't work and hasn't been updated in time.

Edited by flashy

18 hours ago, flashy said:

I use rotowire.com. There are maybe the best statistics about big leagues team's free kicks, penalties and corners takers. Sometimes it's just doesn't work and hasn't been updated in time.

Thanks, a big fan of their website. Must've slipped under the radar.