JumboJoe

Sticks and skates may make some mates

On 8/16/2020 at 9:56 AM, JumboJoe said:

I would be lying to you if I said that the goalie guessing game wasn't getting on my nerves. On the other hand, I don't wanna see the Safety Net rule introduced in hockey - even for goalies, because then the FT players who get burned because of late scratches will want the rule to cover skaters as well, which will make the game worse and even more random (randomer?) than it is right now.

Today's NHL slate now has a safety net enabled. I don't know what to think about it. For me part of the game is to be able to find information about possible absences. I really hope there is no transition to the pursuit model next.

1 hour ago, Hanuman said:

Today's NHL slate now has a safety net enabled. I don't know what to think about it. For me part of the game is to be able to find information about possible absences. I really hope there is no transition to the pursuit model next.

It's okay change. Let's make the game easier for beginners and get the entries grow up ":D" But in seriously, I don't think that we have really gotten edge anymore about starting goalies, big injuries etc. Anyone knows them too. These playoffs has been only exception (and the west-side's latest games in regular season) where anyone won't get certain info.

1 hour ago, Hanuman said:

There will be Pursuit format in NHL DFS (a la NBA), I am sure of it.

I'm still on the fence about the decision to introduce Safety Net for goalies, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I don't wanna see the Safety Net cover the skaters though - it's a big no-no in my book.

42 minutes ago, flashy said:

It's okay change. Let's make the game easier for beginners and get the entries grow up ":D" But in seriously, I don't think that we have really gotten edge anymore about starting goalies, big injuries etc. Anyone knows them too. These playoffs has been only exception (and the west-side's latest games in regular season) where anyone won't get certain info.

Probably you are right and the edge is lost in this area anyways. Playoffs are indeed their own chapter. In many cases, there is a situation when it is in warm-ups that a possible absence becomes clear and by reacting quickly there is an opportunity to gain an edge over others. Now that edge is at least partially lost.

The pricing is fucked again. Why would the best VGK line cost less than 50% of the budget? It seems that Fanteam just wants to casualize the game by all means necessary.

Well, the first round of NHL playoffs has just ended, and the second one has already begun. I wanted to come up with my predictions for the second round here, but the first game has already been played. Still, I'm gonna try.

Avs-Stars. Last night's game showed that Dallas is for real. The team's top line finally woke up from their slumber and erupted for three goals. The Avs have lost Grubauer, which is no big deal IMO because Francouz is every bit as good as the German (trust me, I saw the guy in my home team for a couple of years - the Francouz-Demchenko tandem got our Traktor KHL bronze medals, which is no small feat given how we didn't have any major stars on the roster). I think Colorado will bounce back. 4-2 Avs. On a side note - I love Nathan Mackinnon's play. The guy's a beast and a joy to watch - every time he's with the puck, something dangerous is about to happen.

Vegas-Vancouver. The biggest mismatch of the second round on paper. I think the Canucks may get a couple of games thanks to Jacob Markstrom, but that's about it - Vegas is just too damn good. One minor concern is subpar goaltending from Robin Lehner - even average Chicago offence manage a couple of three-goal games in their series. The Golden Knights have to tighten up defensively because the Canucks have the personnel that can score. Still, Vegas advances, 4-2.

Philly-Isles. That one is much closer. The Flyers got outmatched against the Habs more often than not, but the goaltending of Carter Hart was what might have saved their season. The Islanders are a much tougher customer, so I believe this is where Flyers' luck is gonna run out. 4-2 Isles.

Tampa-Boston. Man oh man. The team that gets this series may win the whole damn thing. This is gonna be awesome, especially if Stamkos is coming back from his injury. I think I'll give slight edge to Tampa because their roster is just a tad deeper. This is gonna be a close one though - wouldn't be surprised to see a handful of games decided outside of regulation time. 4-3 Tampa.

(edited)

A couple of words on how DFS is going. After my August balance almost hit the even mark, I had a decent haul thanks to a four-goal game from Denis Gurianov (hopefully, the Stars' head coach will notice that and stop cutting his ice time to 13-14 minutes a game). I finished second in that tournament and recorded a net profit of more than 30 euros (which is almost 10% of my bankroll, so not bad).

444330690_21082020_.jpg.2c644efb8816a7fb6898db3754da1d45.jpg

178982084_21082020_1.jpg.5370670b6b135a06ad543fd72eb4bac1.jpg

I also managed to finish fifth in the Friday tourney. Nick Suzuki is the man, what a great pick. The profit was much more modest here, but I'll take it.

1446367545_22082020_.jpg.63faf7e0636fa6134922eab4813a0d01.jpg

So, I'm back in the win column, baby! Gotta keep it up. I'll also be trying to squeeze my way into the 1 mln EPL season game through the satellites - 25 euros is still a hefty sum for me, and I can't multi-entry with my measly bankroll.

22082020_Команда1.jpg

Edited by JumboJoe

Another thing - I started dipping my feet in that Sorare project. Still a lot to learn (especially the scoring and how trading market works), but I already managed to win a card from this week's tournament. I already have one clean sheet in this week's one, but I am still waiting on how Lokomotiv Moscow is gonna fare in the Moscow derby against Spartak - this game will decide where I'm gonna be in the standings.

Sorare looks fun for now, but I sense that it's gonna be incredibly tough to be successful there without spending at least some money, which is fair, but not with the current ETH/EUR exchange rate. Still, always excited to try something new. Hopefully, one day there will be hockey cards added too.

I'm also waiting for the new KHL season to begin, both from fan's and fantasy perspective. I want my Traktor to do good, but I also need some form of fantasy hockey in my life after the second round of NHL playoffs is gonna be over. Thing is, I don't play 1-slate tournaments - it's a giant waste of bankroll, in my opinion.

So, we have another season stoppage in the NHL because of yet another incident involving another shooting of an African-American man. I'm not going to comment on whether it was the right thing wrong - I'm more pissed off about demanding 100 million dollars to fight "systemic racism." Huh? Where exactly has the racism in hockey been rooted? This sure looks like a way to make some money on a hot topic. 

Today marks the end of my foray into the uncharted and unfriendly territory known as the NHL DFS. It seems that I'm missing something basic to start hauling in bigger prizes. Mad props to sharks like Stammer who manage to get 3 of their 4 teams into the top-10 on a consistent basis. I'm done with NHL for now because, as you may already know, I don't play 1-game slates 'cos they are a giant waste of time and money, if you ask me. I'm going out largely unscathed, with a measly profit of 15 euros that I'm holding between my teeth😀

KHL starts in three days (again, technically, it starts in two days, but Sept. 2 has only one game scheduled, so I don't care). Let's see how I'm going to perform there. The guarantees will be minuscule because no one gives two shits about KHL, but I'll play it anyways - I think I've started to come to realization of the fact that it's only a game, a hobby, and I won't make enough money out of it, so whatevs, I'm not in it to win, I wanna have fun. And, in the words of the immortal Ilya Bryzgalov...

By the way, I've won the Rookie tourney at Sorare! That came as a complete shock. I mean, I'm good at fantasy and all (not quite), but still, it is a big win. The official announcement should come in tomorrow, and so should my rare card. Excited to see what it is!

It seems that Fanteam is not interested in rolling out KHL tourneys, which is fair given no one cares about the league. So that leaves EPL fantasy for me. Still on the fence about whether to enter a team in the season game - the buy-in is about 10% of my current bankroll, which is a bit steep. Will definitely play daily tourneys, entering 7-8 lineups per gameweek.

Yeah, the card! I won a rare card of a Korean goalkeeper playing in the J-league. Honestly, I didn't care to remember the name, but yeah, I won the card!

So bummed that the Avs are out. The roster was depleted, they were down two games, and they still managed to put up a great fight. This Stars team is something else though - I wouldn't be surprised to see them hoist the Cup. I'm sure Tampa and the Isles will have something to say about that though.

And getting back to my prediction of the second round matchups, I managed to guess three out of four winners right but completely whiffed on the exact series score. Eh, I'll take it. Too late to make predictions for the conference finals since they already began last night, so I'll just watch 'em. Shhh, still don't know how Game 1 of the Western finale ended!

Had pretty much nothing to write home about for the last three weeks. Hoping that Tampa will win the Stanley Cup tonight. I don't have anything against Dallas, but I still found myself rooting for the Lightning pretty much since Game 1 of the finals.

Couldn't help but participate in EPL's Gameweek 3 classic tournament with a 2 euro buy-in. And yeah, I can honestly say I've already picked the most unpredictable gameweek to take part in. ALMOST NOTHING worked in my 8 teams, except for Leeds stack, and maybe Neil Maupay. Wow. EPL, never change.

On 9/28/2020 at 6:18 PM, JumboJoe said:

Had pretty much nothing to write home about for the last three weeks. Hoping that Tampa will win the Stanley Cup tonight. I don't have anything against Dallas, but I still found myself rooting for the Lightning pretty much since Game 1 of the finals.

Couldn't help but participate in EPL's Gameweek 3 classic tournament with a 2 euro buy-in. And yeah, I can honestly say I've already picked the most unpredictable gameweek to take part in. ALMOST NOTHING worked in my 8 teams, except for Leeds stack, and maybe Neil Maupay. Wow. EPL, never change.

How about week 4 shenanigans, huh? ))) Can't win shit myself, at least won my h2hs,  finally. keeping me afloat

2 hours ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

How about week 4 shenanigans, huh? ))) Can't win shit myself, at least won my h2hs,  finally. keeping me afloat

This 7-2 thrashing was something else huh? And so was the 6-1 blowout at the hands of Spurs. This makes it the best football league in the entire world, I guess. And hey, complete pre-season training matters, right?

On 10/6/2020 at 12:21 AM, JumboJoe said:

This 7-2 thrashing was something else huh? And so was the 6-1 blowout at the hands of Spurs. This makes it the best football league in the entire world, I guess. And hey, complete pre-season training matters, right?

Heard an opinion that players might perceive games without fans alike to friendly games. Nothing to spurn them on, loss of concentration, lack of motivation etc. Might be something it in.

The past couple of weeks have been literally nothing to write home about. Tampa won the Cup, which I love. This win has Steve Yzerman's fingerprints all over it. Here's hoping that he will bring his Red Wings back from the ashes. The first thing that should be done is firing Jeff Blashill. Dafuq is he still doing there as team's head coach? Totally incompetent.

Will do a short post later about free agency, just a brief overview of the most important trades.

Taking a crack at today's EPL Monster at FT with 10 teams. It is shaping up to be a rather interesting gameweek. Maybe it is my time finally?

On 10/17/2020 at 3:42 PM, JumboJoe said:

Taking a crack at today's EPL Monster at FT with 10 teams. It is shaping up to be a rather interesting gameweek. Maybe it is my time finally?

how are things looking?

54 minutes ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

how are things looking?

Pretty bleak, to be honest. Just two teams ITM currently. If CRY doesn't budge, I am probably fucked as I don't see many clean sheets left, except for the WBA-BUR game probably.

Well, Son and Kane and Villa's clean sheet happened. Had exactly zero teams with Aston Villa defensive stacks. What was I saying earlier about my time and all that crap? Never mind. Making 250 entries is the way to go. Sticking to DFS hockey from now on.