JumboJoe

Sticks and skates may make some mates

Howdy, everyone! JumboJoe is here, I am a contributor for Draftgym and a Fanteam player. Those who play DFS hockey there may know me under the same nickname. I used to play as mihal2712 as well, and it was this nickname that got me my biggest profit to date (more on that later).

I love everything and anything hockey, and in this here blog I am going to share my thoughts, joyous moments, pet peeves, and grievances. You, in turn, are more than welcome to comment, correct me, and just chat hockey. Welcome!

And here is a photo of me at Charles Bridge in Prague. It was made in early January, way before the pandemic stormed into our lives.

photo_2020-04-19_19-42-45.jpg

A couple of years ago, when I was just trying to hit my DFS stride, I had a chance to use tickets to play 11 euro tourneys. I decided to look back on top 3 winnings from back in the day.

Here is the November 5, 2017 tournament which gave the profit of 220 euros. Back then, the field was below 100 entries, and some of the sharks were just sharpening their teeth. Here is the team that brought me all the glory (how the hell did I win with THAT???)

r5ry.jpg

ett.jpg

Below is another big win, this time on January 23, 2018. This team is much better - a contrarian Detroit mini-stack, a Vasilevsky shutout, and even though the D-men were pretty much non-existent, I got this in the bag (sorry for the screenshot quality - something went wrong in the process of capturing it).

Again, less than 100 entries - it was way easier back then lol.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Bingo! The biggest payday yet - around 300 euros on February 23, 2018. What a team! Ultracontrarian Islanders against the ever-porous-defensively Leafs, Mark Borowiecki, my favorite 'plug' defenseman ever - everything just clicked here. This was, by the way, when the 80 mln limit was still active, and you had to search for interesting combinations (unlike now where you easily get together an All-Star lineup and go on your merry way).

3.jpg

4.jpg

Welcome, buddy! Happy to have you here and will definitely follow your blog. 

P.S. Look how insane is the ownership leverage on your line-ups. That what I was always thinking. Ownership projections > FP Projections. In some way.

2 hours ago, MikeShow said:

Welcome, buddy! Happy to have you here and will definitely follow your blog. 

P.S. Look how insane is the ownership leverage on your line-ups. That what I was always thinking. Ownership projections > FP Projections. In some way.

Thank you, my man. Glad to be here as well😀I'll try to fill the blog with as much content as possible during the lockdown.

Yeah, I agree with you. The thing is, though, the field at Fanteam is not that big (not yet, at least) to justify a strong need to stand out from the rest of the pack. Then again, it worked for me when the field was 100 entries lol. I don't know, honestly. I guess if Fanteam changes something in the ecosystem, and we need to look for unconventional picks, then ownership projections are totally justified.

Howdy! Glad to see you start a blog! 

Since everyone is busy compiling lists of all sorts, I will ask you as well. What is your fondest hockey memory like of all time?🤩

3 hours ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

Howdy! Glad to see you start a blog! 

Since everyone is busy compiling lists of all sorts, I will ask you as well. What is your fondest hockey memory like of all time?🤩

Hello there, my friend! Thank you😃I'll try to keep it interesting.

Well, this one is obvious - Ilya Kovalchuk's sudden-death OT goal at the 2008 IIHF World Champs when Russia beat Canada. One of the greatest calls in the history of Russian sports coverage too.

As far as the stinkiest hockey memory, this has to be the 2010 Olympics and the thrashing handed to Russia by the Canadiens. I got up at like 4 am to see this. I was so frustrated - I had enough in the middle of the second period and went to sleep. This was horrendous.

5 hours ago, JumboJoe said:

Does anyone here play NHL 20 on PS4? Do you like the game? Maybe you fancy playing head-to-head games online?😃

One of my hockey teammates does, will ask what his ingame nick is and forward him to you.

6 hours ago, JumboJoe said:

Does anyone here play NHL 20 on PS4? Do you like the game? Maybe you fancy playing head-to-head games online?😃

Are you good? 😀 I've played through the 10-hour trial and liked the game a lot. I can buy it though, I think it's discounted now.

3 hours ago, MikeShow said:

Are you good? 😀 I've played through the 10-hour trial and liked the game a lot. I can buy it though, I think it's discounted now.

Well, I think I am lol. I am not sure it is discounted right now - I bought it in late March, right before the 60% April sale kicked in.

You guys, here is a very interesting question for discussion - do you believe it is possible to make a living playing DFS? An important remark - we are talking about European daily fantasy sports because it's pretty clear that US-born players can live off of DFS due to huge prizes there.😀

(edited)

Searching for something to rewatch, I decided - for some reason - to watch last year's first-round series between the Sharks and the Golden Knights. You know, the one with a questionable 5+20 penalty against Joe Pavelski? I wanna rewatch the series to make sure if Vegas was the better team and the Sharks just got lucky.

Edited by JumboJoe

On 4/25/2020 at 1:40 AM, JumboJoe said:

You guys, here is a very interesting question for discussion - do you believe it is possible to make a living playing DFS? An important remark - we are talking about European daily fantasy sports because it's pretty clear that US-born players can live off of DFS due to huge prizes there.😀

I believe that with the emergence of e-sport fantasy, it is certainly possible. I know that some top European players do live off it, albeit combined with sports betting. Possible, when all the sports are back on track again of course.

2 hours ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

I believe that with the emergence of e-sport fantasy, it is certainly possible. I know that some top European players do live off it, albeit combined with sports betting. Possible, when all the sports are back on track again of course.

So, it was impossible before, huh😀? I think the big guarantees for e-sports is a temporary thing until 'real' sports come back from the hiatus. Anyhoo, I also think that it is possible but kinda risky at the same time, because DFS still involves luck.

The prices till now are still too low to be a fulltime DFS player imo. Possible to earn some spare money on the side but to live off DFS is not realistic. At least living in Western Europe.

If you are a sicko like TTribl it might work depending on your living expenses, but to hit a volume like TTribl you need a decent BR to begin with.

On 4/28/2020 at 3:32 PM, spuGGy said:

The prices till now are still too low to be a fulltime DFS player imo. Possible to earn some spare money on the side but to live off DFS is not realistic. At least living in Western Europe.

If you are a sicko like TTribl it might work depending on your living expenses, but to hit a volume like TTribl you need a decent BR to begin with.

From my interview  with the aforementioned Ttrible, I do know that he makes a living off of DFS and sportsbetting. And yes, you do need a bankroll to kickstart it. I would presume 4-5 thousands euro would be enough to start, provided you have your next 6 months covered in case things go wrong

On 4/28/2020 at 1:32 PM, spuGGy said:

I agree, the guaranteed prizes should be bigger to justify doing DFS full-time.

One thing to conversation about full-time playing dfs in Fanteam is culture of h2h and 50/50 games. Some reason Fanteam removed their own 50/50 games begin of this season and I have also noticed that H2H games have been decreased in every league. I have tried to play and launch h2h games in my first league but it's really hard to find opposites. I hope Fanteam would come back with 50/50 games on index site for all big leagues and will discount their rake-back on those games. Say if I'm wrong but the rake-back was 2€ in 20€ games, it's too much for games where isn't guarenteed pool.

I think there is else couple ways to get h2h and 50/50 games grow up. For example to reward most-playing players like some sites did in poker.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:50 PM, flashy said:

One thing to conversation about full-time playing dfs in Fanteam is culture of h2h and 50/50 games. Some reason Fanteam removed their own 50/50 games begin of this season and I have also noticed that H2H games have been decreased in every league. I have tried to play and launch h2h games in my first league but it's really hard to find opposites. I hope Fanteam would come back with 50/50 games on index site for all big leagues and will discount their rake-back on those games. Say if I'm wrong but the rake-back was 2€ in 20€ games, it's too much for games where isn't guarenteed pool.

I think there is else couple ways to get h2h and 50/50 games grow up. For example to reward most-playing players like some sites did in poker.

That is a very important point you are bringing up! 50/50 games and H2H are a source of steady income - something that is vital for a steady bankroll growth and income. I guess the logic behind fanteam's decision was getting rid of the overlay in their monster tournaments while keeping the prize pools quaite big to attract new players. 
really hope they reintroduce 50/50 next season

On 4/29/2020 at 3:50 PM, flashy said:

This is gold. Cash games are very important for the healthy player pool ecology. Even if you think about acquiring new players first, as it's much easier for the beginner to beat one opponent vs beating thousands of them. Also in terms of onboarding. Think about the process — when you're playing GPP you just have to enter multiple teams to make any profits. While in cash games you just need to draft one solid line-up that you can enter into multiple tourneys.

It would be awesome if Fanteam reintroduces h2h-games next season, I agree. It would be a decent way to boost my bankroll, especially seeing as how all large tournaments now cost 5 euro per entry.

Well, in my first-ever experience of playing NHL '20 via PS Plus, my cousin kicked my butt in all of the three meetings (1:3, 0:2, and 1:5). That may have had something to do with me downing a couple of cold ones in the process, but this is not an excuse by any means😄Tonight is round too, and revenge will be mine!

P.S. No beer during these three games, only as a celebration of my victory!

Well, I got beat three more times😐There's a thing in all of sports sims - they have cheater's goals that go in, like, half the time, and my cousin uses those to perfection, converting on my defensive lapses. My best performance was playing for the Jets against his Avs. I had a 3-0 lead and blew it to lose 3-5. Guess I still have to learn a thing or two about the game.