JumboJoe

Changes in DFS hockey scoring at Fanteam

Hello, everyone! All major sports leagues are currently on hold due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and so is the fantasy sports in general and DFS hockey in particular. Now is the best time to think about where DFS hockey at Fanteam is going at the moment, especially in terms of scoring. As some of you may know, it's pretty imbalanced right now, and many regular players are complaining about it. So, in this topic, I would love to hear any suggestions to improve DFS hockey scoring at Fanteam. Throw anything into the hat, even suggestions that are out there.

Here is the most important change that I would make - I would give any skater (whether a D-man or a forward) equal amount of points for goals and assists. It would help to nerf defensemen a little bit.

So, what are your ideas? Sound off below.

penalty shot save on regular time (2 points) for goalies and miss (-1 points) for skaters

shots, hits and block same value

skaters time on the ice back

no + points for penalties but no big minus points for 10 minutes

more points to defenders than forwards in goals and assists

faceoffs, this requires some chancing in line-up

Very interesting topic.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:56 PM, JumboJoe said:

Here is the most important change that I would make - I would give any skater (whether a D-man or a forward) equal amount of points for goals and assists. It would help to nerf defensemen a little bit.

I would definitely vote for this change. Defenders are a bit overpowered at the moment.

Also wins should probably get more points for your goalie than shutout. Getting a win is the most important job for a hockey goalie. It doesn't make sense that point-wise the main goal is a shutout. Keeping a clean sheet should get a goalie some bonus points, but if looking at the current scoring — I would change it to:

• Win, goaltender – 4
  • Win, goaltender (OT) – 3
  • Shutout, goaltender – 3 

DraftKings added bonus points in NHL before the start of the season. Players get bonuses for:

• Saving over 35 shots (goalies)
  • Taking 5 shots
  • Getting 3 blocks
  • Scoring 3 points
  • Hat-trick

This sounds interesting as well, so I would recommend FanTeam to look into something like this. I think it would be great way to make the game more fun in general.

23 hours ago, flashy said:

penalty shot save on regular time (2 points) for goalies and miss (-1 points) for skaters

Interesting suggestions, thank you for the feedback! Penalty shots are not very frequent, so I don't think it changes the complexity of the scoring that much. Agree on the second item, don't agree on the third item (there is no use bringing back points for that, imo).

4th item - there should be no minuses in the scoring at all, in my opinion. 5th - so you basically don't wanna change current points distribution for goals/assists, right?😄 The 6th item is an interesting one - how do you see that? E.g., 0.25 points for each faceoff won?

23 hours ago, flashy said:

Face-offs are an interesting idea. I also still don't understand why fanteam is persistent with the 3defenders+4 forwards formation. 3 defenders + 6 forwards (for line stack purposes) maybe?

3 hours ago, MikeShow said:

Very interesting topic.

I would definitely vote for this change. Defenders are a bit overpowered at the moment.

Also wins should probably get more points for your goalie than shutout. Getting a win is the most important job for a hockey goalie. It doesn't make sense that point-wise the main goal is a shutout. Keeping a clean sheet should get a goalie some bonus points, but if looking at the current scoring — I would change it to:

• Win, goaltender – 4

DraftKings added bonus points in NHL before the start of the season. Players get bonuses for:

• Taking 5 shots
  • Getting 3 blocks
  • Scoring 3 points
  • Hat-trick

This sounds interesting as well, so I would recommend FanTeam to look into something like this. I think it would be great way to make the game more fun in general.

Bonus points looks like an interesting addition. Also agree about defenders. Most slates now on fanteam turn into wheteher you got the best defender of the slate in your lineup

3 hours ago, MikeShow said:

Very interesting topic.

• Win, goaltender – 4

• Taking 5 shots
  • Getting 3 blocks
  • Scoring 3 points
  • Hat-trick

I love the idea of bonuses, especially for blocks and shots - some underrated defense-minded defensemen might sneak their way into the lineup, which I totally support; or a third-liner who shoots the puck a lot but is in a bit of a slump. This, of course, would require bringing back the old budget structure and balancing out the pricing, which in turn would necessitate making more unorthodox decisions.

2 minutes ago, KJIIOIIIKA said:

Face-offs are an interesting idea. I also still don't understand why fanteam is persistent with the 3defenders+4 forwards formation. 3 defenders + 6 forwards (for line stack purposes) maybe?

This is a good point too. Or they could do just some sort of a flexible team structure, like they do with football, or simply 2 complete lines.

59 minutes ago, JumboJoe said:

5th - so you basically don't wanna change current points distribution for goals/assists, right?😄 The 6th item is an interesting one - how do you see that? E.g., 0.25 points for each faceoff won?

Imo distribution of points have to consider with every scoring factor. If shots, blocks, tackles are 0,5 points each then 0,25 points for each faceoff won sounds good. My main point for difference of def/fwd points is that defenders should have more points from goals than forwards but I'm not sure is the current system best, maybe. But DK's style that defenders get same points than forwards, I don't like. 

And whatever will happen in scoring system, the most important is take those changes into player's pricing. Key defenders can't be cheaper than opposite team's 3-pair defenders etc.

12 hours ago, flashy said:

Imo distribution of points have to consider with every scoring factor. If shots, blocks, tackles are 0,5 points each then 0,25 points for each faceoff won sounds good. My main point for difference of def/fwd points is that defenders should have more points from goals than forwards but I'm not sure is the current system best, maybe. But DK's style that defenders get same points than forwards, I don't like. 

And whatever will happen in scoring system, the most important is take those changes into player's pricing. Key defenders can't be cheaper than opposite team's 3-pair defenders etc.

Okay, fair enough, that is your opinion. And yes, pricing is probably the most important thing to be fixed right now.