MikeShow

What's happening with NHL on FanTeam

Do you like the new NHL buy-in structure on FanTeam?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

(edited)

NHL is one of the most underrated leagues on FanTeam. A lot has been said already about how ice-hockey games should be improved, starting from the changes in scoring, and up to fixing the pricing issues (please read Khan's article about the current state of pricing in the NHL fantasy). However that's not the only issues that should be addressed.

FanTeam has recently changed the buy-in structure of its NHL tournaments, as well as significantly decreased the guaranteed prize pools for the league. What looked as an attempt to standardise the buy-in structures at first, ended up with the Tuesday event being published with a GPP of €1,500 — over three times less than a regular high buy-in tournament during a large slate previously.

Needless to say that's not a good news for the fantasy ice-hockey community. A decrease of GPP's will significantly slow down the development of ice-hockey in FanTeam's lobby. In a worst case scenario — it will lead to some of the fantasy hockey players leaving the game due to prize pools not being that satisfying anymore.

Some of the reasons that were mentioned by the people close to the website's management is that NHL guaranteed prize pools are being not met too regularly. That could be a reasonable explanation. So I've taken a look into the history of NHL GPP tournaments on FanTeam, and compared the most crucial metrics with the €5 buy-in tournaments in March:

1205620556_tablecopy.thumb.jpg.f5772e57e9038c18a4b565c632e0dc75.jpg

What we can see from the chart:

• 5 out of 30 low buy-in NHL tournaments, as well as in 3 out of 30 high buy-in ones during February had an overlay for a total of €334 (both buy-ins)
  • The total rake taken for the both buy-ins was €6,171, or €5,837 in profit (minus overlays)
  • 4 times this month one of the two events was either sold-out or went over 90% to be sold-out. 3 or 4 such cases happened at the end of the month, so there was some good momentum to increase the GPP's 
  • 8 times during the month a tournament ended up raking over €300. Tuesday and Thursday tournaments had been specifically successful 

Now let's look at the tournaments with the current €5 buy-in setup, as well as compare them with an averages for the similar tournaments with the split buy-ins (low and high) in February. In a "Similar AVG O/R" column similar tournaments of different buy-in setups are compared.

As an example: NHL Saturday Early tournaments with the buy-in of €5 are compared with an average metrics of NHL Saturday early tournaments in February:

495850154_table2copy.thumb.jpg.f7bbb6481918d8423c65aba3bcf9ffbd.jpg

What we can see from the chart:

• There has been 0 overlayed tournaments so far
  • At the given moment the O/R for Saturday Late tournaments is higher at € buy-in, then the "Similar Average O/R" with the split buy-ins. Other 4 tournaments are more profitable with split buy-ins
  • Tuesday tournaments (the most successful previous month) seen a huge decrease in generated rake 
  • No tournament yet ended up raking over €200

What's interesting though are the summed averages. Putting it simply — FanTeam is losing €43,64 on every tournament when running it with the new €5 buy-in structure. So if there were any financial reasons behind the change, they are simply not proving to work yet.

It should be mentioned that these numbers have been achieved without any NHL specific promotions or bonuses from the website, when there are dozens of offers for both football and NBA. This just shows how loyal the FanTeam ice-hockey audience is, when it's ready to continue investing money into the games without getting properly rewarded. Changing the tournament structure and cutting the guarantees looks like a middle finger from FanTeam to all the NHL fantasy players in Europe.

It would be very interesting to know how the active FanTeam ice-hockey community feels about the recent changes. As well as, maybe it's just too early to panic, and FanTeam management has greater plans for ice-hockey in mind. But right now it looks like NHL fantasy tournaments are being killed with no particular reason.

Edited by MikeShow

Well, the pricing sucks, and the buy-in structure sucks as well. It's too bad because they're doing something with basketball, increasing guarantees, which attracts new players. And hockey seems like a complete afterthought.

What I would do is I would fix the pricing (preferrably returning to the 80 mln budget and adjusting the prices accordingly), revert back to the 3-limit structure (1.1, 3.3 and 11 or 2.2, 5.5. and 20/22), and also limit the amount of entries because it is often impossible for players with smaller bankrolls to counter those with 30+ entries.

Conveniently, almost all hockey tourneys have been stopped now, and Fanteam has some time to reconsider what they're doing. We have to wait and see.

I haven't played a lot of hockey on Fanteam as of late, but the challenge with the 80 mln. budget seems to be gone. It is all too easy to draft a team now without making tough choices. Good cheap picks to compliment star players  is what wins you tournaments, alike 3rd and 4th lines winning the Stanley Cup, not the hot shots. Fantasy is about finding those undervalued and cheap picks. 

To be honest, everything about hockey on Fanteam is a mess right now. There are no budget restrictions (which is by itself runs counter to the spirit of DFS), terrible pricing, imperfect scoring system, distorted tournament structure. I might write a long list of things Fanteam has to do in order to fix the game, but all of it can be expressed through the following thesis: Fanteam has to make the hockey tournaments similar to the ones on American sites. I’ve mentioned it on my interview to KJIIOIIIKA as well.

Any american DFS-player would have laughed seeing what kind of shit we are playing on Fanteam in regard to hockey. At the same time, NBA tournaments are operating on Fanteam pretty much close to the ones on DK and FD. This is nothing but the double standards, I think.

Agree with khan. I think that terrible pricing is the most biggest problem at the moment and it's involved also into budget. There is now too much luck in game because you can pick almost anyone into your eight players squad. It shouldn't be the idea of game that you can choose anyone and then just hope to win with good luck. There were also many situations when some 1 points per game players were priced to really low price, and the other way some 0,1 points per game players were priced to high price. I guess Fanteam has some bad algorithm where player's price depends their team's winning probability and then there is really bad situations in prices. It depends but not so much than Fanteam thinks.

5€ buy-ins is better than 20€ buy-ins but 11€ was okay. 20€ buy-in scares new players away.

21 hours ago, flashy said:

I think that terrible pricing is the most biggest problem at the moment and it's involved also into budget. There is now too much luck in game because you can pick almost anyone into your eight players squad. It shouldn't be the idea of game that you can choose anyone and then just hope to win with good luck.

Indeed. Daily fantasy sports is a game for the sports geeks by its nature. It's silly to target guys who just want easy money without digging into stats, as they will be disappointed. As well as it's much easier for them to place a regular bet.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, flashy said:

Agree with khan. I think that terrible pricing is the most biggest problem at the moment and it's involved also into budget. There is now too much luck in game because you can pick almost anyone into your eight players squad. It shouldn't be the idea of game that you can choose anyone and then just hope to win with good luck. There were also many situations when some 1 points per game players were priced to really low price, and the other way some 0,1 points per game players were priced to high price. I guess Fanteam has some bad algorithm where player's price depends their team's winning probability and then there is really bad situations in prices. It depends but not so much than Fanteam thinks.

5€ buy-ins is better than 20€ buy-ins but 11€ was okay. 20€ buy-in scares new players away.

Agree with the buy-in amounts. The 20 euro buy-in scares off new players. And it's not like there are a whole ton of them  playing hockey either. The hockey game can be fun with the right adjustements for sure.